Building a stronger community
Live Well Live Atchison works to promote active lifestyles among Atchison County residents by
- Working with policymakers and local governments to increase and improve trails, sidewalks, parks, and other community resources.
- Working with employers to find ways their employees can increase their physical activity.
- Supporting and promoting programs and initiatives aimed at providing more opportunities for residents get out and be physically active.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention...
Need at least 2 hours and 30 minutes a week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity.
Should engage in vigorous physical activity for 60 minutes or more every day.
Physical activity will allow you to enjoy immediate and long-term health benefits, and improve your quality of life. Maintaining an active lifestyle can improve your health, reduce your risk of developing certain diseases, and help prevent obesity.
You don’t need to spend hours working out at a gym or running miles around a track to enjoy the benefits of physical activity. Simply being more physically active in your normal, everyday life is a great way to meet your fitness goals.
Small changes add up in a big way!
Community Activities and Organizations
Here are some links to activities and organizations in our community that can help you get moving:
Sitting is the new smoking.
A sedentary lifestyle is one of the leading causes of preventable death in people 35 and older. In fact, sitting has become more harmful to our health than smoking! Coined the “sitting disease,” a sedentary lifestyle puts people at a high risk for developing such diseases as type 2 diabetes, several types of cancer, and cardiovascular disease. We are practically sitting ourselves to death.
DO more; BE more.
- Gain confidence and improve self-esteem.
- Enjoy more energy during the day.
- Sleep better at night.
- Move your body more easily doing daily activities.
- Strengthen your body.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Develop and maintain a good mental attitude.
- Reduce your risk of heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes, colon cancer, and breast cancer.
- Reduce the risk of premature death.
- Make new friends and enjoy yourself.